Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Dot Technique and Watercolouring with Dahlia (Technique Tuesday Greenhouse Society)

 Hello everyone! Welcome back.

Today I've got a few projects to share with you that I made using the Dahlia release from Technique Tuesday. I love these projects, so let's get started!

 

I've been waiting for a Dahlia to be released from Technique Tuesday for a while - and let's just say that it's been worth the wait!

This first technique is a super easy way to add quick colour and interest to your designs while not taking up too much of your time. I've done a super simple card with this first, and then on my second card I added more interest and dimension.


This technique I've just seen on Jennifer McGuire's instagram recently and it's called dot colouring. It's super fun, super fast, and produces super results! You can do it as an outline (which is the first card I made), or in the stamp itself (the second card). They both produce different results.


For this first card I've worked with reds and yellows, concentrating the dark colours closer to the flower and going lighter the further up you get. I added some extra contrast and lines using my Copic Liner, fairly similar to what I saw Jennifer do, and I stamped the sentiment in the bottom right corner. Go check out her work to see what more ideas she has for this!


For the second card, I picked pinks and purples to work with, and decided to colour inside the floral instead of outside. I sed the same technique of colouring darker in the centers, and working out through the shades.This technique will definitely work best with less detailed flowers as there's then less lines to confuse the image.


The corresponding die-cut for this floral also includes a thin 'smile' sentiment and a larger base for the sentiment too! I used these to prepare a layered sentiment. I'm not the greatest with keeping those small dots on top of the 'i's', and I'm really bad at getting them to layer and glue down. So I decided to use my small black Nuvo drop bottle and I created my own dot for the i! Lastly I also heat-embossed the small sentiment strip on pink paper.


To wrap this card up I used some ink and splattered my background, and then I placed everything onto the cardstock.
Doesn't it look pretty?!

And finally, one last card using watercolours and ink blending.

This last card used a product I've just newly purchased - Lawn Fawn's Brick stencil. I blended Distress inks (I used Fired Brick with Brushed Corduroy and Gathered Twigs) and wanted to get 
And bricks aren't pretty, smooth things! Don't be afraid to add a bit more colour here and there, be uneven in the blending. I also added water droplets/flecks with my paintbrush, then just moved that around aswell to make the ink move slightly, create a background that's not super smooth. The uneven-ness makes the difference with bricks! 


I then stamped the Dahlia onto watercolour paper, and used my Nuvo Aqua Flow pens to watercolour it. I love the intensity of the colours, and how well the blues work with the purples!

While waiting for the dahlia to dry, I embossed the sentiment onto a vellum strip and placed that on the card, tucking the edges around the front layer. I then adhered the dahlia with my Glue-Dots from Columbus Trading, and also added some sequins from various mixes I have. 


I absolutely love the rugged look that these dark bricks give, and how stunning the card looks. I hope you like these too!

That's it for today! If you get a chance to work with some of these new products, or play with the dot technique, let me know - I'd love to see what you create.

Until next time,
Shana xx

No comments:

Post a Comment